Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cooper

I rode my orange bike
Past my favorite orange flowers
When they are in bloom
It is pure joy
Their color burns with the sun
As there leaves giggle on their stems

They bloomed over winter
For 14 days
And grew around my wheels
The sun kept them warm as long as it could
But the nights were vengeful and relentless

I knew they were fading
When he coughed up white
I screamed, "Hang in there"
But then they just sagged and blew with the breeze
That will eventually take them away

It is hard to watch them slowly wither
Knowing they weren't made to last
Knowing they bloomed too early
Inside winter's false mirage of summer
I try and laugh with them in the meantime
Soaking in our rare moments
Filling every last breathe with happiness
Until the bike ride is over
And we both go home

No comments:

Post a Comment